Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Subtitles

I watched a movie on Netflix instant que (which I get my moneys worth out of, believe you me) about a fighter who aspired to be world champ.  It was a boxing movie, in Korean, so I had to read the subtitles and whatnot.  Pretty good movie, I can't lie.

It made me think about subtitled movies.  I think there are a lot of folks who don't watch movies because they have subtitles, and I'm here to tell you there are some damn good movies out there NOT in the English language.  Jet Li if you're reading this, TESTIFY brother! 

Seriously though, if you haven't seen "The Bodyguard 2", and you appreciate a good ridiculous slapstick action comedy, you're missing out.  If you like a good fight movie and haven't seen a Tony Jaa movie, you're missing out.  If you like crazy movies in general and haven't watched a Stephen Chow movie yet, you're missing out!  Check out "Shaolin Soccer". 

When I watched the last Lord of the Rings movie I was in Korea.  It was subtitled twice and was still awesome.  I slept on a random floor that night and wasn't even upset about it...

Our culture isn't the only culture.  Much less are we the only ones who enjoy the myriad of emotions that make us human, or describe stories we've encountered in our cultural history.  Embrace the movies of other cultures even if they're not your own and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.  I know you will.

TSN

No comments: