Thursday, October 13, 2011

A Story With No Beginning And No End

"Would you like to order desert?" asked the man in the tweed jacket.  My keen awareness of my surroundings kicked in immediately:  This question seemed out of place... possibly because I was half asleep on a midnight bus to Utah. 

"No..." I said hesitantly, confident that my leg was being pulled harder than the groin muscle of an elderly, out-of-practice dwarven kick-boxer. 

After a moment of silence, I soon realized that during my in-the-moment, lengthy comparison between my condition as a potential con-mark and the difficulties of being a small martial arts professional, I had taken so long to answer that the man in the tweed jacket had begun to suspect Forrest Gump could easily best me in a battle of wits, if not comma-spliced, run-on sentences.   

It seemed like a good time to allow his train of thought to build up steam, so I disregarded the nagging feeling that modern trains no longer run on steam and commenced to grinning like I'd just watched a donkey buck a high school bully through a stained-glass portrait of our lady of blessed irony.  

He looked at me.

"I'm Ed." he said.

"Neat."  I said.

And that's it.  Nothing else happened.

TSN

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hilarious!