Friday, October 28, 2011

Live Nudes

Even if there were pictures in this blog entry, the title would still be a lie.

It's just that there's something wrong with a sign that says "Live Nudes".  It begs the question:  What else would they be?  Dead Nudes?  That's not cool. 

And what about this:  Nude isn't a noun, it's an adjective... right?  That makes it hard to pluralize!  We're not supposed to go 'round pluralizing adjectives and whatnot!  What next, possessive future-tense proper nouns?  I can't even think of an example of what that would look like. 

Nude means the same as naked, so it could read "Live Nakeds" just as easily, which actually seems like it makes a little more sense for some reason... but I understand how expensive neon signs are so I get why seedy un-incorporated club owners go with the shorter version.    
 
If people are clothed you don't call them "clotheds", or at least I don't.  Are dressed people "dresseds"?  Nah, that would be dumb.  Garmenteds?  No.  Covered-ups?  "Live Covered-ups"?  Definitely not. 

It should read "Live Nude People", or just "Nude People" with the given assumption that they are alive.  If you put a comma in there it reads "Live, Nude People!" (vs "Die, Nude People!"), which is quite a bit different. 

If I were to wear a sandwich-sign in downtown anywhere that read "Die, Nude People!" on it, I wouldn't make many friends.

Pertinent question:  Are animals nude?  If you shave a monkey is he more nude than he was before?  I don't get more nude just by shaving... shaved or unshaven I'd still be equally nude, so why should it be any different for a monkey? 

If I was a pet store owner, I would totally put a neon "Live Nudes" sign out front. 

TSN

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about naked nudes ?

Anonymous said...

All of your blogs make me chuckle, but this one made me laugh. Perhaps I'm just as warped as you are. ~ Jess

ShadowsNose said...

"Naked nudes" is troubling for some reason. And it still doesn't get around the problem of "nude" being an adjective.

Jess I think you're probably every bit as warped as I am...