Monday, September 26, 2011

This Morning

Dark and silent only broken by a soft rumble
and the telltale sound of gears
expertly manipulated on quiet streets. 
A rumble interrupted at stop signs
whose stern message I observe halfheartedly
in tamed and mindless obedience to the letter of the law. 
Tires on gravely blacktop crunch through sleepy neighborhoods
and hot coffee gingerly sipped through a spill proof lid
washes my teeth in their morning brown. 
Headlights on reflective paint and unlit rooms behind shop glass
show me only the yellow wavering eyes of my transport as I glide through,
an approaching harmless growl quickly passing. 
Bundles of dwellings with windows softly lit
by the unobtrusive lamps of breakfast blur
into the fading dark in side view as my wheels roll ever slower
with unliving familiarity towards my entry point to the highway. 
Here I negotiate with barely a thought through hurling distracted death
and plunge safely into the relentlessly sputtering stream of early risers. 
I pilot my sanctuary into disciplined step
with the first few to whom my fate is so anonymously intertwined
as together we ride the ebb and flow of our communal vein of light to our destinations. 
Largely motionless inside my bubble of metal and controlled explosions
I watch the rise and swell of the rolling hills passing beneath me,
and guide with tempered hand my weaving dance around the maypole of commuters. 
White fences draw their ghostly crooked lines across my windows
as the  darkness above speeds westward,
chased by long low lines of color which bubble from the vibrating horizon in my rear view. 
Subtle hues of red slowly begins to saturate the world around me,
condensing in tiny pools which pry obscure shapes from the background,
forming them into farmhouses and sheds, mailboxes and off-center hand-painted signs.
More colors draw strength from reds boldness and spread
with growing confidence across the land and sky. 
At last, even as I watch,
heralded by the march of a humble but persistent army of color and light
the triumphant glowing forehead of the sun breaches the earth
and drives the last bits of darkness to cower in shivering formation behind miles of fence posts. 

TSN

1 comment:

Lizzy said...

Beautiful! I can totally envision your morning commute