Monday, September 19, 2011

Sometimes you gotta cannonball

I need to relearn how to be impulsive.  Being reserved and calculated has its advantages (and I've enjoyed them more and more as I get older), but there is something about impulsiveness that I think I'm missing out on. 

One day I hope to have enough stuff in here that I can sort through it for nuggets that I especially enjoy and publish them as a collection of sorts... random things, make it down-loadable for Kindle and stuff like that... But that's an incremental way of looking at it.  If I really had something to say, some great idea, some awe-inspiring piece of work that needed to be written, I'd better write it and get it done hadn't I?

Who knows if I'll keep this up.  A blog a day... maybe I'll skip a day, then two days... next thing I know I have to get the password hints just to get myself logged in. 

"At what school did the second-best friend of your youngest uncle play the role of fifth shish-kabob?"
"Monkey Nuts Elementary" 
"Your account has been locked out.  Please try again in 3-5 business days."
"Damn, maybe I abbreviated it to MNE when I set up the account..."

Then my game of increments will have petered out.  I don't want that! 

Sometimes the patience game is what you gotta do.  I've been practicing my guitar for some 14 years now and I still love it;  every time I play, I get a little better.  Those were great increments!  Now I can reap the rewards every time I jam out a song that nobody (including me) has ever heard before (or likely will again). 

Saving money for the kids college, investing long term, learning to cook... that sort of thing:  I'll take my time. 
Putting things on the back burner that I'm passionate about?  Maybe it's time to go all in. 

Life is the great game of increments, but the things that life encompasses don't have to be.

You can't nickle and dime your dreams. 

TSN

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post, Zach!