Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Perspective

There are creatures living on the bottom of the ocean that we've never seen or heard of.  I think that's cool, especially since we human-folk think we're so important and whatnot. 

It would be doubly cool if a gang of them surfaced one day and started poking around lower Manhattan with digital cameras.  I imagine that they also speak English, and that one of them is named Ed.  Why not? 

Scene:  Half a dozen never before seen sea creatures have emerged from the water and are be-bopping around downtown, window shopping and generally behaving as if nothing was amiss.  Naturally, every authority on planet Earth has been alerted. 

Media crews follow with too many cameras and microphones, trying desperately to get a headline shot and some decent audio.  Helicopters circle overhead and the sound of rounds being chambered into automatic weapons creates a proper ruckus. 

Suddenly, without provocation, one of the creatures begins producing bubbles of water that quickly drop to the sidewalk and make little "splish" sounds.  Then it stops.  The crowd freezes in fear. 

The Audio:

"Aww dammit Ed, I know that was you!"
"What?  What?"
"Dude, I can totally see the bubbles."
"My bad."
"Seriously dude."

One of them pauses and scans the hushed crowd.  They talk amongst themselves.  Nobody in the crowd can tell which one is talking since nobody can tell where their mouths are, so they just listen: 

"These things are wicked ugly, what are they called?"
"I don't think we have names for them yet."
"Sweet we get to name them!"
"Yeah I guess."
"Haha!  I'm totally naming them after me."
"What, Dinglenuts?"
".... actually yeah, I like that better."
"Dinglenuts it is."

Aghast at the idea that our entire species has just been labeled "Dinglenuts", the crowd gets agitated.  People begin to move closer.  

"Hey what are they doing?"
"I don't know but I don't like it, let's get the hell out of here!"
"They're everywhere!  How are there so many of them?"
"This is freaking me out, I'm totally freaking out, I'm freaking out!"
One of them pulls a contraption out of... somewhere... and fires a single shot into the crowd which instantly vaporizes all of humanity in a split second. 

Apparently we didn't have the best weapons after all. 

"Dammit.  Now nobody will believe us." 
"Whatever.  We probably did them a favor."

TSN






No comments: