Friday, June 7, 2013

Communications Breakdown (Not the song)

                                      Our faces are touching, and it's hilarious. 

There's a gap in my ability to effectively communicate, and it bugs me.  

I need a new way to express my delight via text.  People send me funny things or post them to various social media platforms or whatever all the time.  Sometimes I really get to laughing about whatever it is, and want to let whomever sent it know how much it made me laugh, but there isn't a great way to do that...

All the usual ways are overused, lol, rofl, lmfao, roflmao, bwaahahaha, teehee, etc. etc... I don't know about you, but I've used all of these while remaining completely expressionless.  They're used so much that when I see those expressions posted I don't believe them at face value even a little bit.  You know what I mean? 

I need something that actually means I'm laughing, not that I find something somewhat amusing.  If I just say it, like "That actually made me laugh!" it comes off as a little conceited, as if I'm saying "It's unusual for something to make me laugh and I'm surprised that the thing you sent me was able to penetrate my defenses", which is in no way true.

Maybe "That actually made me laugh!" will become "tamml".  I hope not, or it will eventually go the way of "lol" which used to mean "I'm laughing out loud" but which now basically means "I am amused" without sounding so uppity.  "lol" is punctuation now.  That's not what I need here. 

There must be a simple solution.  Here are a few ideas:

IJSMPLSH = "I just shit my pants laughing so hard"
ETIAIBICSL = "Everyone thinks I'm an idiot because I can't stop laughing"
HCIPM = "Holy crap I peed myself"
MFHN = "My face hurts now"
YBYJMCSOMN = "You bastard you just made coffee shoot out my nose"

 That makes me wonder if there shouldn't be similar little abbreviations for expressing the fact that something wasn't funny at all, for example:

TWFAA = "That wasn't funny at all"
YAI = "You're an idiot"
IDTWCBFA = "I don't think we can be friends anymore"
GOMOE = "Gouging out my own eyes" (I rather like this one)

It's up to you, go forth and spread the word!



No comments: